Are you planning a trip to Italy? Whether you’re exploring the historical streets of Rome, indulging in delicious pasta in Florence, or basking in the sun on the Amalfi Coast, staying connected is essential. One of the best ways to ensure a seamless communication experience during your visit is by getting a local SIM card or eSIM. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into everything you need to know about Italy Vodafone SIM cards and Vodafone Italy eSIMs in Italy, including coverage, costs, activation procedures, and more.
Table of Contents
1. Quick Facts about Vodafone
Vodafone Italy is a subsidiary of Vodafone Group, one of the world’s largest mobile network operators. It was founded in 1995 and has over 29 million mobile customers, making it the second-largest mobile operator in Italy by market share.
Here are some quick facts about Vodafone Italy:
- Founded: 1995
- Headquarters: Milan, Italy
- Parent company: Vodafone Group
- Customers: Over 29 million mobile customers
- Market share: 2nd-largest mobile operator in Italy
- Network: 4G and 5G coverage across Italy
Vodafone Italy offers a wide range of mobile services, including voice, data, and SMS. It also offers a variety of value-added services, such as TV, music, and gaming.
Vodafone Italy is a major player in the Italian telecommunications market and is committed to providing its customers with the latest and greatest mobile services.
2. Why Vodafone When You’re Exploring Italy – Coverage and Speed
When traveling to a foreign country, having reliable network coverage is crucial. This is where Vodafone shines, offering extensive coverage across Italy.
2.1. Vodafone Coverage in Italy
According to the Opensignal Mobile Network Experience Report for Italy, Vodafone has the best overall coverage of the five national operators, with a score of 7.9 out of 10. This is based on the percentage of time that users spend with a 4G or 5G signal.
Vodafone also has the best 5G coverage, with a score of 8.9 out of 10. This is based on the percentage of locations where users see a 5G signal.
Overall, Vodafone’s coverage in Italy is very good. However, there are some areas where coverage may be weaker, such as rural areas and mountainous terrain.
Here is a summary of Vodafone’s coverage in Italy, based on the Opensignal report:
- Overall coverage: 7.9 out of 10
- 4G coverage: 9.7 out of 10
- 5G coverage: 8.9 out of 10
If you are considering using Vodafone in Italy, it is important to check the coverage map to see how good coverage is in the areas where you will be using your phone.
2.2. Vodafone Speed
According to the Opensignal Mobile Network Experience Report for Italy, Vodafone has the fastest average overall download speeds of all five national operators, with a score of 37.2 Mbps. This is 1.6 Mbps (4.6%) faster than second-placed Fastweb.
Vodafone also has the fastest average overall upload speeds, with a score of 11 Mbps. WindTre is close behind, with a score of 10.8 Mbps.
Overall, Vodafone’s speeds in Italy are very good. However, there are some areas where speeds may be slower, such as rural areas and mountainous terrain.
Here is a summary of Vodafone’s speeds in Italy, based on the Opensignal report:
- Average download speed: 37.2 Mbps
- Average upload speed: 11 Mbps
If you are considering using Vodafone in Italy, it is important to check the speed map to see what speeds you can expect in the areas where you will be using your phone.
It is also important to note that speeds can vary depending on a number of factors, such as the time of day, the number of users on the network, and the device you are using.
3. Vodafone Connectivity Options for Travelers to Italy
To cater to the diverse needs of travelers, Vodafone provides two connectivity options: traditional SIM cards and eSIMs. Let’s explore each option in detail:
|Vodafone Tourist SIM||This SIM card is designed for tourists and offers a variety of plans to choose from, ranging from 1 GB to 100 GB of data. All plans include unlimited voice and SMS.|
|Vodafone Travel Pass||This pass gives you access to Vodafone's mobile network in over 40 countries around the world, including Italy. You can purchase a pass for 1 day, 7 days, or 30 days.|
|Vodafone Pocket WiFi||This is a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that you can rent from Vodafone. It allows you to connect up to 10 devices to the internet at the same time.|
Here are some additional things to keep in mind when choosing a Vodafone connectivity option for Italy:
- If you are staying in Italy for a short period of time, such as a week or less, the Vodafone Tourist SIM is a good option.
- If you are staying in Italy for a longer period of time, such as a month or more, the Vodafone Travel Pass or Vodafone Pocket WiFi may be a better option.
- If you are traveling to other countries in Europe, the Vodafone Travel Pass is a good option.
- If you need to connect multiple devices to the internet at the same time, the Vodafone Pocket WiFi is a good option.
4. Best Vodafone SIM Cards for Tourists & Cost
The Vodafone Holiday SIM and Vodafone Dolce Vita are excellent choice for tourists as it provides generous data allowances and local calls. This SIM card typically comes with a validity of 30 days and can be easily activated upon arrival at the airport.
|Vodafone SIM Plan||Price||Data||Local Calls||Messages||Validity||Total Cost (USD)|
|Vodafone Holiday SIM||~ 30 USD||2 GB in 4G speed||300 minutes||300 SMS||30 days||~ 30 USD|
|Vodafone Dolce Vita||~ 15 USD||100 GB in 5G||200 minutes||200 SMS||30 days||~ 15 USD|
5. Does Vodafone Support eSIM in Italy?
Yes, Vodafone supports eSIM technology in Italy. Currently, Vodafone Italy does not offer the option of eSIM for visitors.
If you have a device that is compatible with eSIMs, you can enjoy the benefits of this digital solution. eSIMs offer convenience, flexibility, and the ability to switch between different networks without physical SIM card changes.
To activate a Vodafone eSIM, follow the steps provided by your device manufacturer or reach out to Vodafone customer support for assistance.
6. Where can You Buy a Vodafone SIM Card and eSIM?
If you’re traveling internationally and need cellular service, purchasing a Vodafone SIM card or eSIM is a convenient option to consider. Where can you buy a Vodafone SIM card and eSIM?
6.1. Where to Buy Vodafone SIM for Italy?
Here are some options for buying a Vodafone SIM card or eSIM in Italy:
- Vodafone stores – Vodafone has its own retail stores located throughout Italy where you can purchase a SIM card or activate an eSIM. Look for Vodafone Store locations.
- Mobile phone carrier stores – Major mobile carriers in Italy like TIM and WindTre also often sell Vodafone SIM cards in their stores.
- Tobacco shops/tabacchi – Many tabacchi (tobacco shops) in Italy are authorized sellers for major carriers like Vodafone. They usually have SIM cards available.
- Convenience stores – Larger convenience store chains like SisalPay and SnaiPoint may carry Vodafone prepaid SIM cards.
- Online – You can order a Vodafone SIM card online from the Vodafone Italy website for delivery. eSIM activation can also be done online.
- Airports – Major airports in Italy usually have Vodafone kiosks or sales points where you can purchase a SIM upon arrival.
- Supermarkets – Larger supermarket chains may have a mobile phone area where Vodafone SIMs can be purchased.
So in summary, the best options are Vodafone stores, mobile carrier stores, tobacco shops, convenience stores, or online ordering to get a Vodafone SIM or activate an eSIM when visiting Italy. Make sure to have your passport for ID.
6.2. Where to Buy Vodafone eSIM in Italy?
Vodafone eSIMs can be requested directly online at the time of purchase of your offer or in-store at a cost of €1( ~ 1 USD). In stores, it is also possible to replace the physical SIM card with a digital one.
If you want to buy before going to Italy, you can buy Italy eSIM from italy-esim.com. Explore our wide range of flexible eSIM plans for 3, 5, 7, 10, 14 and more days. Unlimited call and text options also available. Compatible with 200+ devices including all major iPhone and Samsung models.
7. How to Activate Vodafone SIM/eSIM in Italy?
Activating your Vodafone SIM card or eSIM is a straightforward process. Depending on your chosen option, follow the relevant steps below:
7.1.How to Use Vodafone SIM Card in Italy?
Insert the order/practice code you received via email and/or SMS, your Tax Code or your VAT number (used for subscribing to the service) to activate the SIM card of your Vodafone Station.
If you do not have the order/practice code, contact Customer Service.
7.2. How to Activate Vodafone eSIM?
The card of your eSIM is equipped with a QR Code, PIN code which you can also subsequently change from your smartphone settings, and PUK. Once scanned, the QR code will allow you to download your eSIM profile onto your smartphone (just as if you inserted a physical SIM into the phone) and be able to use Vodafone connectivity immediately.
- You can find your ICCD in your phone settings after installing your Vodafone eSIM.
- Your EID, however, can be found in the settings of your device once your eSIM profile has been installed or shown on the box of your device.
Always refer to the instructions provided by Vodafone or consult their customer support if you encounter any difficulties during the activation process.
8. Italy Vodafone Call & SMS Rates
When using a Vodafone SIM card or eSIM, it’s essential to be aware of the call and SMS rates to manage your expenses effectively. Here are some standard rates for Vodafone in Italy:
|Call & SMS Rates (USD)||Italy|
|National calls to landlines||$0.19 per minute|
|National calls to mobiles||$0.19 per minute|
|National SMS||$0.19 per SMS|
|International calls to landlines||Starting at $0.29 per minute|
|International calls to mobiles||Starting at $0.39 per minute|
|International SMS||Starting at $0.19 per SMS|
These rates are subject to change, so it’s crucial to verify the latest rates before making calls or sending text messages.
9. Useful USSD Codes for Vodafone SIM/eSIM
If you want to know how many minutes, SMS and GB you have left:
- Call the Customer Service at the free number 190
- Go to Vodafone Itlay Official Website
10. How to Top-up Vodafone SIM/eSIM
To ensure uninterrupted connectivity, it’s essential to top up your Vodafone SIM card or eSIM when your credit is running low. Here’s how you can recharge your Vodafone account:
- Vodafone Website: Visit the official Vodafone website and follow the instructions to top up your prepaid credit using a credit or debit card.
- Vodafone Stores: You can also visit a nearby Vodafone store and recharge your prepaid credit through the available payment methods.
- Recharge Vouchers: Purchase a recharge voucher from various authorized retailers across Italy and follow the instructions to top up your credit using the voucher code.
- By phone: You can top up by calling 190 from your Vodafone phone in Italy.
Always remember to keep track of your credit balance and recharge in advance to avoid any disruptions in service.
11. FAQs about Vodafone in Italy
Q: Can I use my Vodafone SIM card or eSIM outside of Italy?
A: Yes, Vodafone offers international roaming services, allowing you to use your SIM card or eSIM in many countries worldwide. However, roaming charges apply, so it’s important to check the rates and activate an appropriate plan before traveling outside of Italy.
Q: What should I do if I lose my Vodafone SIM card or eSIM?
A: If you lose your Vodafone SIM card or eSIM, contact Vodafone customer support immediately to report the loss and request a replacement. They will guide you through the necessary steps to ensure your account’s security and assist with obtaining a new SIM card or reactivating your eSIM on a new device.
Q: Can I keep my Italian Vodafone number after leaving Italy?
A: If you wish to keep your Italian Vodafone number after leaving Italy, you may be able to do so depending on your specific circumstances. Contact Vodafone customer support for detailed information and assistance.
12. Final Words
Staying connected during your trip to Italy is made easy with Vodafone SIM cards and eSIMs. With excellent coverage, fast network speeds, and a range of plans to choose from, Vodafone provides a reliable and convenient communication solution for tourists.
Whether you opt for a traditional SIM card or embrace the digital innovation of eSIM technology, activating and using your Vodafone connectivity option is a straightforward process. Be sure to check the latest rates, top-up options, and USSD codes to make the most of your Vodafone experience in Italy.
By choosing Vodafone as your telecommunications provider in Italy, you can explore the country with confidence, knowing that you’ll always be connected when it matters most.